dotmoon.net

board

library

gallery

portal

hinfo

main
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2014, 09:23:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Home Search Calendar Login Register
Major changes have been made to the structure of the site and more are on the way. Please read the full details. [Thread]
117360 Posts in 3761 Topics by 6997 Members
Latest Member: melobner

.moon - the living fandom  |  In The Fandom  |  Obsession Anonymous  |  Topic: MLB 2009 Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: MLB 2009 Thread  (Read 10502 times)
Rated: R
Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2009, 09:20:52 PM »

Random notes:

Phillies

Pedro Martinez did about as well as could be expected his first time out.

The good: He threw close to 100 pitches and his fastball still was in the 90s by the end. That means he's that much more effective since his changeup is so much more effective with the seperation of speed. A strikeout per inning is also very encouraging, I await to see if he can repeat similiar numbers his next start out.

The bad: Only went 5 innings, but much of that can be chaulked up to the fact that the Cubs were fouling everything off. If he generates more swinging misses, he'll be able to go longer and be much more effective.

That, and the Phillies offense is looking very mean again now that they've found the long ball again.

Brewers

It's going from bad to worse. My 2nd favorite club in baseball is really fading down the stretch, even though they have an incredibly easy schedule. The problem isn't with the offense, so the sack of Bill Hall and J.J. hardy is rather non-sensical. Outside of one or to bright spots, their pitching is in shambles and it shows when they give up oodles of runs to weak hitting clubs like the Padres. I'm sticking the fork in them right now.

Unlike last year when Ned Yost was sacked, they don't have a dominant C.C. Sabathia to trot out there every 3rd day.

Twins

Liriano put together a great outing tonight, but it's against the Royals. I think that it's a bright spot in an otherwise messy 2nd half for the Twins, and I think they've pitched themselves out of the AL Central race. That race will now go down to the Sox/Tigers. Though, I'm still pulling for the beloved Washington Senators.

Rangers

Going to the 2nd Washington Senators, I'm beginning to like them more and more for the AL Wild Card choice. The Angels aren't going to be caught, even with their pitching woes, at this point due to their very high powered offense which is due to get better soon. Of course, it's only August and there's a lot of baseball to play.

"If there are no special or military reasons, you will be punished for the confiscation of the bicycle."

-V.I. Lenin,  April 21, 1919
flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 11:50:45 AM »

Boo losing to the Royals again.  I mean, c'mon.  It's the ROYALS.  I thought we might be able to tie it at the end, considering the batting line-up had made it's way to Cabrera/Mauer/Morneau.  But we didn't.  BOO.

Baker's pitching tonight--let's hope he has a good start against the Indians.  And maybe Mauer will give us another 3-run homer!

Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Just a quick note, this weekend is looking to be huge for the wildcard races. In the AL you have the Red Sox going to Texas with the Rangers nipping at their heels. In the NL you have the Rockies at the Marlins, who with a sweep or a series win could draw even closer.

There's also the Phillies at Braves which is an interesting divisional matchup. If the Phillies get a winning series or a sweep it could be a severe setback for the Braves, and a good series by the Braves means they can climb back into the NL East race.

"If there are no special or military reasons, you will be punished for the confiscation of the bicycle."

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

And while the action heats up in Miami, Arlingtom, Atlanta, and elsewhere, the Mets are reducing ticket prices in a NEW stadium, putting up posters noting past MET achievements (duh?), and wearincg snappy looking "throw back uniforms", aimed at celebrating the history of the Giants in NY (51 years after they moved to CA)! Huh
flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00:24 PM »

Woo hoo!  Baker threw a shut out tonight!  That's the way the Twins need to keep playing.  Smiley

Now we just need to see who's pitching tomorrow.  I'm going to be at the game, so it better be this good!

Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »

And while the action heats up in Miami, Arlingtom, Atlanta, and elsewhere, the Mets are reducing ticket prices in a NEW stadium, putting up posters noting past MET achievements (duh?), and wearincg snappy looking "throw back uniforms", aimed at celebrating the history of the Giants in NY (51 years after they moved to CA)! Huh

What are the price reductions looking like? I'm a season ticket holder (at beautiful Citizen's Bank Park, home of the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies) and my tickets are about 22.00 each for excellent upper deck seats.

flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2009, 11:10:39 PM »

You know, I would take never playing another shut out game the rest of the season if it meant that the Twins could win more than just one game per series.  If it meant that their pitchers could for-the-love-of-Pete be consistent.  If it meant that something in that clubhouse changed so that the team got itself back together.

I don't know if it's fair to blame Gardenhire or even Anderson, the pitching coach.  But the pitching situation feels a little desperate right now, and it would sure be nice if they'd shape up so that I don't have to worry about us losing Mauer or Morneau once their contracts are up.  Just because Mauer's a hometown boy doesn't mean he's going to stick with a team that's not going to help him get the titles he deserves.

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

What are the price reductions looking like? I'm a season ticket holder (at beautiful Citizen's Bank Park, home of the World Champion Philadelphia Phillies) and my tickets are about 22.00 each for excellent upper deck seats.
A couple of the sports talk guys at WFAN (which carries the Mets games in NYC and the Metro region) really pooh-poohed the idea that this is anything significant.
Besides, it's only for tickets that have not been sold as of yet. If you got the tickets back in April or May, enjoy the games you're going to; no rebate on tickets already sold.
flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2009, 06:04:50 PM »

Also:

Dear Kyle Gibson,

I really wish we didn't have to play your whiny little b***h games about how you deserve more money on your signing bonus just because your number dropped to 22 due to a stress fracture.  I'm sorry, that sucks (though I never actually feel all that bad for people who are earning that much money and quibbling about it).  The commissioner slotted you at about 1.29 million, which the Twins are willing to pay.  One point two nine MILLION.  That's just unfair, really.  I think I might technically be at the poverty line, and I've finished college (which you won't do, if you sign) and have gone on for an even higher degree.  I'm pretty sure that no matter what, you're going to be making bank here.

I may not speak baseball contract, but I do know that that's a lot of money.  And to drop more than what some people see in their lifetime on someone who's unproven in the Majors scares the crap out of me (and it's even worse knowing the higher up draft picks got even MORE).  Personally, I don't really see the appeal in signing some whiny drama queen who will probably complain about their salary the rest of their career.  Totally not worth it, in my opinion.

Make up your mind already!
Abby

PS: Although if it ends up that your agent gets like, all of that, I'll apologize.  Because I think agents are kind of skeevy.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:25:41 PM by Abby » Logged

flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2009, 09:30:47 PM »

Ok, so that game sucked.  But clearly no one cared about the score...it was all about how many pitchers could possibly be played in one game!  And both teams clearly did a bang-up job there.  Hahaha. Smiley

Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2009, 09:40:37 PM »

So, with the mess that the draft is playing out to be with the failure of the suggested slot system growing worse every year. I really hope that the reports that established superstars are pissed off at the sheer gull of the demands of draft picks demanding more than they made in years of major league service. When the basic agreement gets re-neogiated in a few years, I suspect the draft will be completely scrapped and re-designed.

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2009, 04:34:44 PM »

I had the worst feeling that SOMEWHERE along the road there would be hard feelings between the Mets front office and Gary Sheffield, especially during a season as woebegone as this. Sad
Sure enough, it's happened. The Mets put Sheff on waivers, someone "bit" (supposedly, Florida and/or Atlanta), the Mets pulled his name back, Sheff got upset that he wasn't informed of these events and wanted his contract renegotiated, whereupon the Mets took him out of last nights starting line up. Shocked
With the Phillies in town, let's see what happens in the next episode of the Mets 2009 soap opera! Huh
Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »

Gary Sheffield is the Mets leader in home runs to boot. With him out, whose the biggest power threat in that lineup? Fernando Tatis? Seriously?

kelleh
Ninja Pirate
Beta-Tester
Media Moderator

Member #6

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2009, 09:04:28 AM »

I know it was in our favor, but calling Francoeur out at second last night was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I still can't get over it.

Oh, Batman's Car.  Your gaze is like a rainbow that ends in my pants.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB!
Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2009, 12:12:19 PM »

I know it was in our favor, but calling Francoeur out at second last night was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I still can't get over it.

That's baseball.

SEE: 2008 World Series

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »

The umpiring for the 2009 season (especially by the "base umpires") has been described by many sportswriters and sportscasters as being the WORST in at least a dozen years. Angry
It seems that every day the Mets can figure out ANOTHER way to lose! Nice comeback, but even I thought they were going to at LEAST tie the game with two on, nobody out, and a run already in. Shocked
And, lest in go unthought of after ALL that action today, wasn't Omar Minaya smart signing Ollie Perez as a free agent instead of Derek Lowe? Huh
kelleh
Ninja Pirate
Beta-Tester
Media Moderator

Member #6

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »

Agreed. There have been some terrible calls.

But may I say FUCK YEAH ERIC BRUNTLETT.

Oh, Batman's Car.  Your gaze is like a rainbow that ends in my pants.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me."

GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE AND KICK REASON TO THE CURB!
flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »

Heck yeah, Twins!  Finally we manage to win a series.  Of course, it was only the Royals.  But still.  And while we definitely miss Morneau (boo inner ear infections), Cuddyer was amazing with that history-making inning.  Hopefully the Twins have gotten their momentum back (knock on lots of wood).

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 02:12:12 PM »

Twins hot, ChiSox not! Cool
Same can be said concerning the Rockies compared to the Dodgers! Shocked
Talk about having a FAST change of heart....Billy Wagner doesn't seem to mind being a set up guy on the Red Sox now, does he? Huh
So what ELSE is new? Santana finished for the Mets in '09; perhaps the same will be true for Mr Perez by the weekend. Sad
Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 02:43:38 PM »

Twins hot, ChiSox not! Cool

The Twins are going to have to get smoking hot to get into that AL Central discussion, and I don't see a rotation which highlights Carl Pavano as being capable of that.

Same can be said concerning the Rockies compared to the Dodgers! Shocked

That it can, that it can Cheesy

Talk about having a FAST change of heart....Billy Wagner doesn't seem to mind being a set up guy on the Red Sox now, does he? Huh

I don't think the issue ever was about being a set-up guy, it was setting himself up for next year, and he wanted assurances he could be the most attractive canadiate possible. Of course, I have the Red Sox missing the post-season altogether at this point, so he may not get a big stage to show off on.

So what ELSE is new? Santana finished for the Mets in '09; perhaps the same will be true for Mr Perez by the weekend. Sad

Seriously, what is with the Mets medical staff? They seem to botch every injury that comes their way. The difference with Santana of course is you expect him to come back healthy and back to his dominant self. Perez? Well, you still got 2 more years and 24 million to chomp on over that one.

flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »

Did I read that number correctly?  Are the Twins finally back at .500?  And we're tied for second in AL Central?  Color me flabbergasted.

And yay for good hitting by Delmon Young and for Morneau being over his inner ear infection!

flighty.thistledown

Member #1940

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »

*sigh*

I mean, I guess it was too much to ask that the Twins rally again.  I think there might be a limit on how many times you're allowed to do that in a row.

metfan151

Member #397

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »

I must agree! Usually, the firing of a trainer and/or a strength and conditioning coach are "warning shots" for those higher up in the clubhouse/dugout "food chain", but if ANY team EVER needed a shake up in strength/conditioning issues (not to mention diagnosis and therapy) it's the NY Mets! Fire the entire LOT of them! Angry
Sokudo Ningyou

Member #11

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2009, 01:06:18 AM »

I think Pedro may be getting his first start with the Phillies tonight.
Brewers had a mini "shake up": pitching coach fired, Hardy demoted to AAA, Hall designated for assignment.
Hey, it sort of worked for them last season. Wink

Nothing will save them this year.   Most of the team hates Macha, the clubhouse is pissy, and we still have no pitching.   And now Hardy is back, so we'll see if being demoted did any good.

On the plus side, they didn't fire the bastard before his magnet came out; last year they fired Yost right before the damn thing was released.  Everyone had to wheedle a magnet out of the stores with a "any player" coupon.  Idiots.

"Daringly innovative, psuedo anti-neo-post modern deconstructionist, um....stuff."

Dreamwidth Journal
Искра
Soyuz
Armed and Dangerous

Member #16

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:46 AM »

I must agree! Usually, the firing of a trainer and/or a strength and conditioning coach are "warning shots" for those higher up in the clubhouse/dugout "food chain", but if ANY team EVER needed a shake up in strength/conditioning issues (not to mention diagnosis and therapy) it's the NY Mets! Fire the entire LOT of them! Angry

Minaya is being paid through, what, 2013? Fish rots from the head down I'm afraid.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
.moon - the living fandom  |  In The Fandom  |  Obsession Anonymous  |  Topic: MLB 2009 Thread « previous next »
Jump to: